Colin Paul kindly donated these pictures. No 499 'Hayling Island' was transferred to Brighton Works for rebuild into the form seen in these photographs. The rebuild was completed in 1890 and it became No 481 'Inspector' as an inspection vehicle. It was finally withdrawn in 1899. See http://haylingbillyheritage.org/category/engines/sharp-stewart/ for the full history of this locomotive.
When people talk of the ‘Hayling Billy’, they often speak of it as one single locomotive or train, much as they would the ‘Flying Scotsman’ or Stephenson’s ‘Rocket’. But in fact nothing could be further from the truth as over the years many engines worked on the Havant to Hayling Island branch line, indeed in [...]