North Hayling Station circa 1900=1914 from the Roger Nash collection.

This station was in a remote area of Hayling island at a point now known as the Esso Car Park (so named because of the garage that now exists on the Havant Road). The single lamp at the end of the platform was lit by the guard on the train each evening. It could not have been pleasant walking to this station at night. Note also, the milk churns on the platform. These would be picked up and placed in the guards van. Photo, courtesy of Roger Nash (Grandson of Samuel Walder. See article.)

Meet the Author

Peterd
0 comments… add one