Busy times at Havant station Circa 1900

This image shows the original station and signal box controlling the junction with the London line (LSWR) heading north and the Brighton line LBSCR) heading east. The Hayling Branch line passes behind the signal box. The station is working at full capacity with a goods train arriving off the Hayling Branch, hauled by a Terrier, and both main line platforms occupied. The goods yards are well stocked with wagons and a rake of passenger coaches stands in the bay platform for the Hayling Branch. The signal at the end of the London/ Brighton platform is very interesting. This signal would, in later years, have been constructed with a single post and a small gantry on which two signal posts would have been mounted. As can be seen here, the signal has two large wooden posts with the walkway to refuel/light the lamps on two levels between the posts. The signals on the right hand post protect the route through the junction (behind the camera position) to London (LSWR) and those on the other post protect the route through the junction to Brighton (LBSCR). The signals at the top of each post have repeat arms at the bottom. This is to ensure that they can be seen by the crew of engines despite the station platform canopies reducing visibility. The distant arm (second down on the right hand post) is an early example of those used by the LSWR. The black band is rectangular whereas more modern distant arms have a fishtail shape following the outer shape of the arm itself. This image was submitted by Roger Nash (his grandfather worked as a porter at Havant and a guard on the Hayling branch line).

Meet the Author

Peterd
0 comments… add one