Rare photographs of 481 ‘Inspector’ (Ex 499 ‘Hayling Island’)

Inspector (Hayling Island rebuild) – image donated by Colin Paul

Colin Paul kindly donated these pictures.

No 499 ‘Hayling Island’ was transferred to Brighton Works for rebuild into the form seen in these photographs. The rebuild was completed in 1890 and it became No 481 ‘Inspector’ as an inspection vehicle. It was finally withdrawn in 1899.

See http://haylingbillyheritage.org/category/engines/sharp-stewart/ for the full history of this locomotive.

Meet the Author

Hayling Billy 50
0 comments… add one