When the branch line opened in 1865 (goods only) to Langstone and 1867 when services were extended to Hayling Island (for goods and passengers), Neither of the two big railway companies serving Havant, the London & South Western Railway (LSWR) nor the London Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSCR) were interested in operating the branch. It was therefore the responsibility of the Hayling Railway to seek locomotives and stock to operate its services. For the first few years of services, contractors locomotives were used.
Contractor’s Locomotive – Fredrick Furniss No 2
This was one of the locomotives used in the construction of the Hayling branch line. As can be seen, the locomotive crew were completely exposed to the elements. Crossing the railway bridge during gales must have been extremely uncomfortable with no roof or side sheets enclosing the cab to protect the crew.
It was used to haul trains on the branch line until replaced by the Sharp Stewart tank engines in 1872.