This document was produced to advertise the Summer Races to be held on the new racecourse in front of the Royal Hotel, Hayling Island and also the new Hayling Branch line that was to be opened for passengers early July 1867. The racecourse having been built by Frances Fuller who was also the Chairman of [...]
1865 – 1872 Contractor Operation
The Hayling branch line opened in two sections; Havant to Langstone Wharf (Goods Only) in 1865 and Langstone to South Hayling (later known as Hayling Island) in 1867 for Goods and Passenger services.
The Hayling Railway Company did not own any locomotives or rolling stock (carriages & wagons) to run its services and the main line railway companies were unwilling or unable to help. Instead, the company contracted Fredrick Furniss to provide the locomotives and rolling stock that were needed and also to operate the train services. The locomotives were stabled in a shed on the Havant – Langstone section of the branch line.
Contractor Engine Shed
Other than the map above, there is no further information of this shed available.
Train timetable and fares 1868
The first official passenger service from Havant to Hayling opened on 17th July 1867. On 3rd August 1867 an article was published in The Railway News as part of a series called Railway Rambles. The author urged train buffs to "take a dog-day flight to a terra incognita called The Isle of Hayling". The advice [...]