1872 – 1923 LBSCR ERA

Negotiations with the London Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSCR) resulted in an arrangement whereby the LBSCR ran the branch on behalf of the Hayling Railway Company, providing the staff and stock to do so. Ownership of the branch line remained with the Hayling Railway Company with a lease being granted to the LBSCR.

Engines and Engine Sheds
In 1874, the first LBSCR locomotives arrived on the branch line.These were a motley collection of unique or small classes of locomotives that were found to be surplus to requirements; These included locomotives originally purchased from, Sharp Stewart and Kitson for use on other branch lines and had been displaced as traffic grew.

An engine shed that was originally at Petworth (whilst that station was a temporary terminus) was moved to South Hayling, probably soon after the LB&SCR began to operate the train service from 1st January 1872. This replaced the Contractor engine shed located between Havant and Langstone and was used to house the LBSCR locomotives.

In 1892 the first of the Stroudley A1 Terriers arrived on the branch. These were again locomotives that had previously worked other branch lines but now were transferred here. These locomotives were serviced and maintained at Fratton and were moved each day with their coaching stock, to Havant for use on the branch line. This saw the demise of the engine shed at South Hayling Station.

Train Service

Approx 1902, the LB&SCR were seeking to reduce the costs of running locomotive hauled trains across their system resulting in the joint purchase, with the LSWR, of two steam railcars to operate the Fratton – East Southsea Branch which were stabled at Fratton.

In 1907 a motor train service began to operate on the Hayling Branch Line in the winter months only. The train consisting of a modified Terrier locomotive, coupled with an auto train trailer. This was not popular and the auto train service was withdrawn in 1916 and replaced with a Terrier and normal coaching stock.

The Hampshire Telegraph reported an “alarming accident” at Hayling Island Station on the 31st October 1892. The engine normally employed on that branch was returning from repairs at Portsmouth. On arrival at Havant it was attached to four ’waggons’ loaded with oysters from Whitstable and a break-van. The coaches forming the branch train were standing [...]

This interesting map is held by the Bluebell railway, sourced from Alan Bell's donation to them. This shows the connection at Havant station and the line to Langston station. A small loco shed was built at the opening of the railway. The site of this was chosen due to the proximity of the springs in [...]

Rural Railways article 22 September 1900 In an article on "Queer Travelling' The Weekly Standard and Express explains that 'at North Hayling a train only stops when a driver sees a passenger on the platform, or a passenger has expressed a wish to alight there'.

HT 5.1.1907 With the advent of the New Year a railway motor service has been inaugurated between Havant and Hayling. The motor service is similar to that running between Portsmouth and Chichester and will carry only one class of passengers. It is claimed that the service is to be improved but it may be pointed [...]