Langstonian found this advert in a 19th Century almanac. This is advertising the Royal Hotel, Hayling Island and has much information on travel and fares.
Tourism to the Island began with the construction of the Royal Hotel in 1825.
The first meeting of the flat races, fixed to be held for two days annually at Hayling, came off under extremely unfavourable circumstances..... Heavy rain fell during the whole of the day and this discomfiture was considerably increased by the fact that there was no railway communication from Havant, as had been anticipated, the government [...]
Back in the late 1940's one of many miniature railways in the Island's railway history, ran immediately in front of the Lifeboat Inn, at pretty much the same location as today's Hayling Seaside Railway's Eastoke Corner terminus. The little pyramid roofed building just left of centre of the picture survived until very recently, and was [...]
Above, we see locomotive No:3 “Jack”, an 0-4-0 Steam Outline Diesel-Hydraulic built by Alan Keef Engineering of Ross-on-Wye. Still in its fully lined out ‘works finish, outside its shed at the line’s Mill Rythe depot. The original EHLR was built in 1988 and ran entirely within the grounds of the Island's Mill Rythe Holiday Camp. Here [...]
At the same location a couple of years ago, the Hayling Seaside Railway's visiting Bagnall 0-4-0 Saddle Tank steam locomotive "Wendy", owned by the Bursledon based Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Society, can be seen waiting to leave the present Eastoke Corner station bound for Beachlands.