The following “Terriers” have been associated with the Hayling Island line over the years. Those noted in green font have survived into preservation. Those in red font have been scrapped:- "48” (originally “Leadenhall”) Described as one of the earliest “Terriers” to work the Hayling Island line from around 1890 when it was allocated to Fratton [...]
The Stroudley A1/A1x class locomotives were originally constructed by the LBSCR company to handle its suburban traffic. These locomotives were displaced when passenger demand increased requiring more carriages to be used on these services. This resulted in these locomotives being transferred to branch line services.
This locomotive type had a long career and remained in service until late 1963 with 10 engines being preserved.
Locomotive running numbers were 2 digit e.g. 46, in LBSCR days and were named (usually after the branch line they served).
When people talk of the ‘Hayling Billy’, they often speak of it as one single locomotive or train, much as they would the ‘Flying Scotsman’ or Stephenson’s ‘Rocket’. But in fact nothing could be further from the truth as over the years many engines worked on the Havant to Hayling Island branch line, indeed in [...]
Here is a picture of 32646 ('Newington, later 'Freshwater') about to leave Havant for Hayling Island on 24 July 1960. It would be fitting if the same engine could visit Hayling next year.
I created this photograph at Havenstreet as a preview of what we might hope to see in Hayling next year.
Terrier 32678, formerly 'Knowle' at Havant
Circa 1957 image taken by Roger Nash. Note the continuous check rail on the inside rail of the loop track. Very necessary due to the tight radius of this section of track. The goods yard in the distance still has many wagons. Photo courtesy Roger Nash
'Knowle' hauling Stroudley 4 wheel stock at Langstone about 1905. The first coach is a full brake which may be the coach currently in Michael Camp's collection. Kindly donated by Peter Paye. The Hayling Railway (The Oakwood Press)