Terriers 663 ex-Preston and 643 ex Gipsyhill on Fratton shed in the early twentieth Century, when they were frequent visitors to the Hayling island branch. Preston was renumbered 663 in June 1901 and Gipsyhill to 643 in April 1902 and both had their brass number plates removed and substituted with wooden ones, with the numbers painted in gold. At [...]
Contractor’s engine shed.
A small engine shed, on the branch between Havant and Langstone was used until the LB&SCR took over the operation of the branch line. It is likely that this dates back to the building of the branch line.
There are no known illustrations or photographs of this engine shed.
South Hayling Engine Shed
There is a tantalising glimpse of the wooden engine shed which, until 1894, was situated on a siding behind the end of the platform. The engine shed was originally at Petworth, whilst that station was a temporary terminus and probably was moved to South Hayling soon after the LB&SCR began to operate the train service from the 1st January 1872.
There are very few photographs of this shed. Those that are available are included on the website.
This depot became the stabling and servicing point for the branch line from the 1890’s when the Stroudley Terriers were introduced on the Hayling Branch line. The coaching stock was also stabled at Fratton.
The locomotives and coaching stock required for the day’s operation were brought to Havant as a single train before the first service on the branch.
Hayling Island branch Terrier 32662 under repair at Fratton MPD 6 September 1963 (RS)
32650 Quietly slumbering in Fratton Shed. This was one of Eric Grace's favourite engines. Seen here at home in Fratton Shed. Photos from the Michael G Harvey collection, taken by Eric Grace.