Take your seats ladies and gentlemen for a pictorial journey from Havant to Hayling Island via Langston and North Hayling, in the line’s final years before closure. Courtesy of local photographer Roger Gallienne! British Railways Class A1/x ‘Terrier’ number 32650 (Ex Whitechapel) stands in the Hayling Island branch bay platform with an Island bound train. The first carriage is of 1940’s Southern Railway origin to the design of their Chief Mechanical Engineer Oliver Bullied. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
Havant – Langston
BR 32646 (Ex Newington) heads south from Havant’s East Street bridge with a train for Hayling Island. The first carriage is of British Railways Mk 1 ‘Suburban’ design built in the 1950’s and barely 10 years old when the line closed. While the trailing vehicle is of Southern Railway 1930’s pattern to the design of Chief Mechanical Engineer Richard Maunsell. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
32640 (Ex Brighton) heads for Langston station with a train formed of two Southern Railway ‘Maunsell’ carriages of the 1930’s (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
The Railway Viaduct
The wooden trestle viaduct linking mainland Havant and Langston with Hayling Island was probably the most photographed subject among local railway photographs. Here we see it in a variety of moods and seasons. An unidentified ‘Terrier’ works bunker first back to Havant, as was almost invariably the case, with a train comprising a British Railways Mk 1 ‘Suburban’ carriage and a ‘brake’ coach of Southern Railway ‘Bullied’ design. Note the signal box responsible for the safe operation of the adjacent swing bridge, and the landmark electricity pylon, which was only recently demolished in spectacular fashion – using explosives! (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
This view shows the locomotive to be 32646 (Ex Newington), which for many years following the line’s closure was to become a ‘regular’ at the Island’s ‘Hayling Billy’ public house! (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
And as the sun sinks slowly in the west………………….! Probably THE most iconic of all Hayling Billy views (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
‘In the bleak mid-winter’ – 32640, once William Stroudley’s celebrated Paris Gold Medal winner ‘Brighton’, at North Hayling with a train for Hayling Island. The front carriage unusually for a Southern Region branch line is in BR maroon livery, and is possibly of former London Midland & Scottish Railway design. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
The elegant lines and craftsmanship of William Stroudley’s classic Victorian design are seen to good effect as the former ‘Whitechapel’ runs round its train at Hayling Island. The British Railways crest on the engine’s tank side is of the earlier pattern, often unkindly referred to by railwaymen and enthusiasts as the ‘Lion & Unicycle’, a later revision of the heraldic device becoming the ‘Ferret & Dartboard’, while the final ‘modern image’ double arrow symbol of British Rail was more politically known as the ‘Arrow of Indecision!’ (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
32678 (Ex ‘Knowle) can be seen carrying out the same maneuver in a view showing many of the station’s facilities. Note what appears to be a black taxi cab waiting to convey passengers onwards to their destinations in Island villages such as West Town, Mengham and Eastoke Corner. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
Having no doubt topped up the bunker at the station coal stage 32646 (Ex Newington) continues the process of running round its train prior to departure for Havant. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
The signalman’s trusty motorbike stands ready for a prompt departure at the end of shift, as a train arrives from Havant. The Signalman himself is nowhere to be seen – hidden discreetly out of shot chatting away to our photographer perhaps? (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
This monochrome view from a departing train shows Hayling Island station in its entireity, complete with Goods Yard and wagons and the Goods Shed which survives to this day beautifully restored as the ‘Hayling Theatre’, home to the Hayling Island Amateur Dramatics Society. (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
A busy summer scene at the Hayling Island terminus. The signalman can be seen collecting the single-line ‘token’ from the crew of an incoming train, while a family group appear to be having their photo taken for posterity, beside a second ‘Terrier’, waiting to depart for Havant. While to the left next to the faithful Morris 1000 can be seen the line’s coaling stage. Curiously the only supply of coal anywhere on the branch line, while the service’s sole locomotive watering point was to be found at Havant! (Photo: Roger Gallienne).
‘Terrier’ 32650 (Ex Whitechapel) on arrival with a train from Havant. The train’s tail lamp can be seen on the platform edge waiting to be placed on the back of the train ready for the next departure, by the diver who is presumably returning to his cab after a quick chat with the Booking Clerk. Beyond the extensive platform canopy can be seen further carriages in the station’s ‘bay’ platform. With the station building lacking the usual General Waiting Room, it was common practice to leave spare vehicles in the second platform to serve this purpose. The lack of any shelter in front of the main station building is the result of a near miss from a mercifully off target WW2 bomb!