It is not unusual for ‘heritage railways’ to re-livery their engines as long scrapped sister locomotives of the same class. Here we see the Bluebell Railway’s ‘Stepney’ some time in the 1980’s, leaving Horsted Keynes station, in the guise of Brighton Locomotive Works’ ‘celebrity’ shunting locomotive of the late Southern and early British Railways era.
When in 1947 the Southern Railway restored No:82 ‘Boxhill’, the final ‘Terrier’ remaining in as built ‘Class A1’ condition, as part of their museum collection. Brighton Locomotive Works apparently over ordered the required amount of yellow ochre ‘Stroudley Improved Engine Green’ paint.
Full advantage was however taken of this error, and the ‘A1/X’ that had replaced ‘Boxhill’ in the role of works shunter, originally LB&SCR No:35 ‘Morden’, was given a similar treatment. Becoming DS377 in the ‘departmental’ number series, proudly carrying the name ‘Brighton Works’ on its tank sides. A livery it carried into the early 1960’s. (Photo by Ian Edwards).