‘Fenchurch’ on the Bluebell Railway (In Newhaven Harbour Company livery).

Taken in the 1970’s, this image of Stroudley ‘Terrier’ locomotive ‘Fenchurch’ shows the engine in the ‘Brighton’ style lined black livery of the Newhaven Harbour Company, to whom it was sold in 1898. When it became the first of many members of the class to be sold on to private operators. When the Harbour Company was subsequently taken over by the Southern Railway in 1926, they rather curiously allocated the by now un-numbered locomotive the lowest vacant number in the ‘Terrier’ series ‘2636’, rather than the more logical ‘2672’ derrived from its original as-built identity. (Photo by Ian Edwards).

Meet the Author

Ian Edwards
0 comments… add one